[CLUE-Talk] pricewatch

Thu May 31 17:39:07 MDT 2001

My two cents:
My pricewatch experiences have been all over the spectrum.  I have gotten
top-flight service from vendors that went immediately to my "recommend at
every opportunity", and I've also gotten cruddy, no-voice-mail,
barely-speak-English,
really-resent-you-calling-with-Pricewatch-prices-anyway levels of service.
Really, that's appropriate given that Pricewatch is not a vendor, but an
almost-level playing field on which vendors can compete.

So, here's my advice in as few words as possible:
Check the websites.  Call the cheapest vendor that has a credible website.
Something with obvious phone numbers and a reasonable support section.  If
anything strikes you as 'odd' about your phone interaction with them, call
the next vendor.  Ask about restocking fees!  Specifically, ask what a DOA
will cost you, if you get one.  If a DOA will cost you anything more than
one-way shipping, call the next vendor.

-----Original Message-----
From: clue-talk-admin at clue.denver.co.us
[mailto:clue-talk-admin at clue.denver.co.us]On Behalf Of R Frank
Sent: Thursday, May 31, 2001 4:34 PM
To: CLUE Talk
Subject: [CLUE-Talk] pricewatch

I'm needing additional PC-133 memory.  Prices quoted at
www.pricewatch.com seem too good to be true; for example
256 MB PC-133 memory at around 32 dollars.  That's less
than half of what I've seen for it locally.  I'm wary.
Anyone use any of those mail-order vendors successfully?
Any particular ones you would recommend?  I've got to do
some upgrades for the school machines this summer and
I need to make a few dollars go a long way.

Roger Frank