[CLUE-Talk] pricewatch

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Thu May 31 19:35:37 MDT 2001

"David L. Willson" wrote:

> So, here's my advice in as few words as possible:
> Check the websites.  Call the cheapest vendor that has a credible website.
> Something with obvious phone numbers and a reasonable support section.  If
> anything strikes you as 'odd' about your phone interaction with them, call
> the next vendor.  Ask about restocking fees!  Specifically, ask what a DOA
> will cost you, if you get one.  If a DOA will cost you anything more than
> one-way shipping, call the next vendor.

> I'm needing additional PC-133 memory.  Prices quoted at
> www.pricewatch.com seem too good to be true; for example
> 256 MB PC-133 memory at around 32 dollars.  That's less
> than half of what I've seen for it locally.  I'm wary.
> Anyone use any of those mail-order vendors successfully?
> Any particular ones you would recommend?  I've got to do

FWIW, they aren't the cheapest by any stretch, but I like Mushkin. For
one thing, they're on Colfax, just west of Broadway a ways. They can
tell you which brands will work well (or not) in different
configurations, for example. Since I didn't have to return anything, I
can't speak to that issue, but they were wonderful people to deal with.

But yeah, you won't even come close to that price.

jed
--
Everyone takes the limits of his own vision for the limits of the world.
 - Arthur Schopenhauer