[CLUE-Talk] Paypal or other

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 19 13:18:19 MDT 2002

On Fri, 19 Apr 2002, Kevin Cullis wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm suppose to look up how my organization can do e-Commerce and I've
> glanced at Paypal and it seems pretty easy. Do you all have other
> suggestions and what do you think of them? Our transactions won't be
> that many, about 20-40 per month at the most.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I've had bad experiences with
PayPal and I don't trust them. I know I'm not the only person that
feels this way - so using PayPal only will mean that a certain
percentage of people will simply not do business with you.

They claim that they need you to provide your bank account
number in addition to a credit card number to "verify" you, and
the last time I tried to use them they would not allow me to
transfer money via credit card only. They're trying to move
people from using credit cards to checking accounts because
the rates are lower - but they're doing so via deceptive practices.
There are also a lot of horror stories floating around about
Paypal freezing people's accounts for indefinite periods for
"suspicious" transactions.

I believe there are a few hosting companies that offer credit
card services as part of the fee for hosting - which might be
a better value, since they set up all the credit card handling,
SSL and such. I believe Yahoo! also offers a payment service
or credit card handling if you host with them - that starts
at $49.95 a month for a shopping cart plus cc processing,
and it includes your business in the Shopping category.
(Whether that is desirable or not, I dunno.)

My advice is to avoid Paypal at all costs.

Take care,

Zonker
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier -=- jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
http://www.DissociatedPress.net/
ymessenger: jbrockmeier / AIM: ZonkerJoe
"I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our
moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our
government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the
laws of the country." -- Thomas Jefferson