[CLUE-Talk] Books on software usability

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Sun Apr 21 02:38:19 MDT 2002

On Sun, Apr 21, 2002 at 01:21:10AM -0600, jbrockmeier at earthlink.net wrote:

> 2. A comprehensive site map is mandatory.

In theory, it should be unnecessary. If form follows function well
enough, the site *is* the map.

Okay, so that doesn't happen much. I said, "in theory."

> 3. When all else fails, a user should be able to find any information
> they want or that you want them to have using a search function.

When all else fails? I don't know about that. On a large and complex
site (think www.ibm.com), search is often by far the easiest way to
find resources. OK, maybe IBM was a bad example, since their search
engine sucks. But let's assume you have a good search engine.

Also, FWIW, Nielsen sez a simple search interface on every page is
highly desirable, because it helps give the user a sense of control.
Sounds about right to me.

Other than that, I mostly agree with Zonker. I would just add one point
from my reading on usability issues: the best usability experts I know
of (Nielsen being one) say that highly specific usability metrics are
usually a waste of resources--for several reasons, but mainly because
it is impossible to observe how people actually use an application under
normal conditions. But if instead of trying to quantify usability, you
approach testing as a means of *identifying design flaws or bugs that
detract from usability*, then you can get a lot of useful information
from observing just a few test subjects.

That's my .02. I don't claim any special expertise in software usability;
it's just something I often think, read, and talk to people about.

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, Colorado, USA
mgushee at havenrock.com