[CLUE-Talk] Books on software usability

jbrockmeier at earthlink.net jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 21 11:21:22 MDT 2002

On Sun, 21 Apr 2002, Matt Gushee wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 21, 2002 at 01:21:10AM -0600, jbrockmeier at earthlink.net wrote:
>
> > 2. A comprehensive site map is mandatory.
>
> In theory, it should be unnecessary. If form follows function well
> enough, the site *is* the map.

I kind of disagree with this. The site map is basically the
index/TOC of the site, and even a really well-designed book
needs an index and table of contents (though they don't
have the benefit of a search engine...)

I suppose really small sites can get by without, but most
of the sites I use are kind of sprawling...

> > 3. When all else fails, a user should be able to find any information
> > they want or that you want them to have using a search function.
>
> When all else fails? I don't know about that. On a large and complex
> site (think www.ibm.com), search is often by far the easiest way to
> find resources. OK, maybe IBM was a bad example, since their search
> engine sucks. But let's assume you have a good search engine.

Good point. I was mainly thinking of the need for a GOOD search
functionality... so many sites have pathetic search capability, or
run something like ht://Dig, but fail to update the database
regularly.

> Also, FWIW, Nielsen sez a simple search interface on every page is
> highly desirable, because it helps give the user a sense of control.
> Sounds about right to me.

Yes. I agree heartily with that.

Another item I forgot: The Principle of Least Surprise/Annoyance

Sites like Yahoo! annoy the crud out of me because they're
inconsistent and require me to drill down several levels for
something that should be immediately available. For example, their
news page is a great aggregate news service, but when you click
on a picture accompanying a news story, it sends you to a full
text of the news story instead of the full-sized picture - you have
to click twice and wait for the pages to load just to achieve the
desired effect. Sometimes they have "slideshows" so you'll click
on one picture to get the full-sized version, but get a "slideshow"
instead that starts with a bunch of other images that are unrelated.
Grrrr...

The Internet Movie Database is the same - to see an actor/actresses
mug shot, you have a minimum of three clicks/page loads.

If an ecommerce site does that with products (I think Best Buy does
to some extent) it tends to drive customers off before they have
the chance to buy something.

> That's my .02. I don't claim any special expertise in software usability;
> it's just something I often think, read, and talk to people about.

Same here - Most of my "knowledge" on the subject is as a first-hand
user and from working with one specialized site for two years.

Take care,

Zonker
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier -=- jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
http://www.DissociatedPress.net/
ymessenger: jbrockmeier / AIM: ZonkerJoe