[CLUE-Talk] Books on software usability

Randy Arabie rrarabie at arabie.org
Sun Apr 21 12:00:52 MDT 2002

On Sun, 21 Apr 2002 jbrockmeier at earthlink.net wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Apr 2002, Sean LeBlanc wrote:
>
> *snip*
>
> > Nice image. :) I've never met anyone that really like Flash,
> > either...occassionally, I've been pointed to one of those "funny" sites that
> > have some animation done in Flash, but it's not directly selling something.
>
> Yeah - it's fine if you want to do something that's optional,
> but since it's a commercial product and they have to keep selling
> more and more - they try to convince site designers that it's good
> for everything. Now they're trying convince developers to use Flash
> for the entire site - which is a terrifying concept.

I've recently ran across a site designed in that.  The site was for a small hotel
in Munich, all I wanted to do was check availability and make a reservation.  Their
whole site was flash based!  I considered just finding another hotel, but they were
recommended and the geographic location was very good. Fortunately for them, I was
able to find an email address to them, so I was able to do business with them that way.
I expessed my dismay to them, and I sent an email to the webmaster.  I told them that
flash is nice...but it should not be a requirement.  I told them they were closing
doors to potential customers.
--
Cheerio!

Randy

Randy Arabie
GnuPG Key Info --

 Fingerprint: 7E25 DFA2 EF72 9551 9C6C  8AA6 6E8C A0F5 7E33 D981
 Key ID: 7C603AEF
 http://www.arabie.org/keys/rrarabie.gnupg