[CLUE-Talk] Books on software usability

Chris K. Chew chris at fenetics.com
Sun Apr 21 11:49:54 MDT 2002

Hi Sean.

Usability has been a problem in the past for my company as well.  This is
mainly because I was the only one who took responsibility for it, and I am
not good at it because I rarely have problems figuring out how to use
things.

Our recent switch to a J2EE framework with Turbine and Velocity was
partially motivated by the hope that our project manager and graphic
designer can more easily dictate the flow and the look-and-feel of our
applications.  Turbine is a model-view-controller patterned servlet that
separates the presentation from logic.  This allows us to use a strong
templating engine and provides means for the graphics guys to completely
changes things without bothering me.  http://jakarta.apache.com for more
information.

We also read Jacob Nielsen's book, and were very disappointed.  He is
extremely critical, and wants very boring website designs.  You can see for
yourself his own website, www.useit.com, which he considers to be absolutely
perfect.  True it is usable, but it definitely lacks in the "user
experience" department.  He shuns any fancy thing that might possibly
obstruct a users navigation.

We would recommend the book GUI Bloopers by Jeff Johnson together, which has
probably helped the most.  I say this not because it gives us a list of
things not to do, but rather shows us by example what to critical of in our
application or website.

I would also suggest Don't Make Me Think by Steve Krug specifically for
website usability.  It lays out the standards that have evolved for helping
people use a website analogously to the standards used in books (which have
page numbers in the bottom or top outside corners, chapter titles in the top
margins, indexes in the back, and tocs in the front).

Hope this helps,

Chris