[CLUE-Talk] Books on software usability

jbrockmeier at earthlink.net jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 21 11:28:15 MDT 2002

On Sun, 21 Apr 2002, Chris K. Chew wrote:

> We also read Jacob Nielsen's book, and were very disappointed.  He is
> extremely critical, and wants very boring website designs.  You can see for
> yourself his own website, www.useit.com, which he considers to be absolutely
> perfect.  True it is usable, but it definitely lacks in the "user
> experience" department.  He shuns any fancy thing that might possibly
> obstruct a users navigation.

You say that like it's a bad thing. :) I admit, the page is dull, but
I prefer it to sites that take forever to load (even on cable, not
because my connection is slow - but because their server is struggling
to deliver all the dynamic content/images and crap that makes up
one page...Best Buy is an example of this - of course, it'd help if they
were using a "real OS." :)

You can go too far trying to remove all distractions, but I'd rather
see hundreds of sites like this instead of all the over-complicated
sites that try to mimic magazine layout.

Take care,

Zonker
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier -=- jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
http://www.DissociatedPress.net/
ymessenger: jbrockmeier / AIM: ZonkerJoe