[CLUE-Talk] Pointy-Haired Boss (WAS: The Microsoftpenaltythat isn't - Tech News - CNET.com)

David Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Sun Apr 21 14:03:20 MDT 2002

Sean LeBlanc wrote:

> Actually, they explicitly talk about Deming here, in the discussion of
> "mappers" vs. "packers":
> http://www.reciprocality.org/Reciprocality/r0/Day1.html
>
> I think this is also where the "specialization is for insects!" comment
> (made on this thread) came from.

Actually, as I said, it is from Heinlein.  Here's the full quote:

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog,
conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set
a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve
equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty
meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

The Web says this is from "Time Enough for Love".  The book I have that contains it
is a book of quotes called "The Notebooks of Lazarus Long".

Does this make me a mapper or a packer? ;-)

Dave