[CLUE-Talk] Pointy-Haired Boss (WAS: The Microsoftpenaltytha t isn't - Tech News - CNET.com)

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at attbi.com
Sun Apr 21 14:35:18 MDT 2002

On 04-21 14:03, David Anselmi wrote:
> Sean LeBlanc wrote:
>
> > Actually, they explicitly talk about Deming here, in the discussion of
> > "mappers" vs. "packers":
> > http://www.reciprocality.org/Reciprocality/r0/Day1.html
> >
> > I think this is also where the "specialization is for insects!" comment
> > (made on this thread) came from.
>
> Actually, as I said, it is from Heinlein.  Here's the full quote:
>
> "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog,
> conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set
> a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve
> equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty
> meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

Oops, saw that you attributed it to Heinlein...after I posted, of course.
Guess it's one of those things that gets repeated so much that getting the
(correct) source is hard to so. Thanks for the clarification. I remember
seeing someone saying "Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're
not after you," and attributing it to *Nirvana*, LOL. At least my gaff
wasn't quite so extreme.

> The Web says this is from "Time Enough for Love".  The book I have that contains it
> is a book of quotes called "The Notebooks of Lazarus Long".
>
> Does this make me a mapper or a packer? ;-)

:) Good question. Based on this alone, I guess it would make you a packer -
this is a "packet" of knowledge, after all - but since I've talked to you in
person, my guess is that you would fall more into the mapper category. But
since I've only read the intro docs and lurked on the mailing list for a bit
(over a year ago) I'm hardly an expert.

--
Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at attbi.com Yahoo:seanleblancathome
ICQ:138565743 MSN:seanleblancathome AIM:sleblancathome