[CLUE-Talk] Reversal of assessment of questions

Kevin Cullis kevincu at orci.com
Mon Apr 22 23:13:34 MDT 2002

Hey all,

I just had a rather interesting discussion with a Quality colleague.
Here's what he stated after I mentioned the below article and how MS as
a convicted monopolist that should we, as an ethical organization,
pursue working with such an organization (getting their software):

Article here:

The Oregonian: Microsoft Puts the Squeeze on NW Schools

http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2002-04-23-007-26-NW-MS-LL

> If it is a need we are trying to fulfill, then we should go through a
> selection process with decision criteria etc.  I can tell you one of the
> criteria would need to be "Barriers to Entry."  I would weight that element
> a 10 and give MS a score of 10.   I am not willing to walk away from MS
> products for my personal and business use since I have to worry about
> compatibility with clients and potential clients - most of which us MS
> products, my kids are all MS in school, etc.

This is what I told him:

> While you consider the criteria to be "barriers to entry," I would
> reframe that to say "Barriers to Exit"! For those of us in the IT field,
> it's called "locked in" to a proprietary product or service with LITTLE
> chance of getting out and the farther in you get, the harder it is to
> get out so that you will ALWAYS be paying MS.

The point I'm trying to make is this: no matter what the title or the
background someone has, there will always be chances that they may not
understand the issues at hand.

The most important point: asking and framing the RIGHT questions give
you the right answers, not biased questions looking for biased answers.

FYI

Kevin