[CLUE-Talk] New Colorado Tax on Software Development

Kirk Rafferty kirk at fpcc.net
Tue Apr 23 16:05:46 MDT 2002

Just to add my two bits:

After the whole 9/11 business, general aviation planes were grounded for
a much longer time than commercial planes.  As a private pilot, I was
encouraged by AOPA (Airplane Owners and Pilots Assoc) to contact my
representatives to get the flight bans lifted.

One of the things I learned throughout this process, is that our
politicians still live in the pre-internet age.  Sending an email to your
representative is not nearly as effective as giving them a call.
I called my representatives, and asked the receptionist if I could speak
to (for example) Senator Campbell.  He of course was unavailable, but I
was able to leave a message.  I did so, and much to my surprise Senator
Campbell called me back a few days later.  I'm not a Republican, but I sure
was impressed and very pleased that he called me back.  Congressman Udall
didn't return my call, but his receptionist took my concerns down, and even
asked a few questions.

As techies, we live in a cold electronic world.  But if you really want to be
part of the process, make human contact with your representatives.  Or at
least their receptionists.  :-) I genuinely felt that I was listened to; I
would have never got that feeling from an email.

Kirk