[CLUE-Talk] Viruses from Europe

Randy Arabie rrarabie at arabie.org
Tue Apr 23 17:12:34 MDT 2002

/*
||	I didn't know if this was 'Tech' or 'Talk'.
||	Since it isn't about Linux specifically, I choose 'Talk'
*/

My wife and I are planning a trip to Europe and we've made most of
our reservations via the web and email.  Consequently, I've been
passing my email address out a lot.

In the last week I've recieved 4 emails with attachments originating
from email addresses I've never seen or heard of.  Three of them
are from a domain in Italy that coincidently is the same domain
where many of the Italian hotel email addresses were.  The other
is from a Czech Republic domain...we are going to Prague, I sent
quite a few emails to hotels in Prague looking for rooms.

These email and the accompanying attachments all meet several of
the standard criteria for likely viruses.  I no longer have any
Windoze machines here at home to confirm my suspicions.

I'm curious on how I received these, as I have not sent any email
directly to the addresses in the from or reply to headers. Is there
any benefit to me contactin the admins at the domains from whence
these came?

I still have the messages, perhaps I could do further diagnostics?

--
Cheerio!

Randy

Randy Arabie
GnuPG Key Info --

 Fingerprint: 7E25 DFA2 EF72 9551 9C6C  8AA6 6E8C A0F5 7E33 D981
 Key ID: 7C603AEF
 http://www.arabie.org/keys/rrarabie.gnupg