[CLUE-Talk] Pointy-Haired Boss (WAS: The Microsoftpenaltythat isn't - Tech News - CNET.com)

David Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Tue Apr 23 17:52:59 MDT 2002

Kevin Cullis wrote:

> They are both sides of the same coin, but they don't realize it. The
> current state of a situation remains until action is created to change
> it and it happens basically like this.
>
> 1. Discovery phase: Recognition that a change/improvement is needed
> (much like an alcoholic realizing he has to quit drinking)
> 2. Define phase: defining a "new" state of future state, i.e what do you
> want things to look like (I want to get sober)
> 3. Design phase:  planning to move from current state to future state
> (check myself into a detox facility)

Hmm...  I think Kent Beck would be amused by that.  You might want to look at his
book on Extreme Programming.  I looked at the wiki on XP a while back - wasn't
impressed.  Heard him talk last night and now I think he's worth a try.  At the
very least he recognizes human dignity should be respected in every job, a
counter-cultural attitude.

Dave