[CLUE-Talk] Pointy-Haired Boss (WAS: The Microsoftpenaltythat isn't - Tech News - CNET.com)

Kevin Cullis kevincu at orci.com
Tue Apr 23 22:00:14 MDT 2002

David Anselmi wrote:

> Kevin Cullis wrote:
>
> > They are both sides of the same coin, but they don't realize it. The
> > current state of a situation remains until action is created to change
> > it and it happens basically like this.
> >
> > 1. Discovery phase: Recognition that a change/improvement is needed
> > (much like an alcoholic realizing he has to quit drinking)
> > 2. Define phase: defining a "new" state of future state, i.e what do you
> > want things to look like (I want to get sober)
> > 3. Design phase:  planning to move from current state to future state
> > (check myself into a detox facility)
>
> Hmm...  I think Kent Beck would be amused by that.  You might want to look at his
> book on Extreme Programming.  I looked at the wiki on XP a while back - wasn't
> impressed.  Heard him talk last night and now I think he's worth a try.  At the
> very least he recognizes human dignity should be respected in every job, a
> counter-cultural attitude.

There's a certain amount of dysfunctionality in all of us, it's a matter
of degree. ;-) As Deming states, most people don't come to work to fail.
If that's the case, where's the problem then?

What was the difference between Wiki and his talk?

Regarding XP, I glanced at it a while back and it reminded me of the
"Quality Circles" a number of years ago when workers were suppose to
gather around to discuss problems and how to fix them.  Today we find
that QC are only one part of the complete picture of products and
services of an organization.

XP and other methodologies all provide some structure to a process, but
the key point is: not all methodologies will work for every project.
Much like not every vehicle should be used for each trip, car, truck, 18
wheeler, whatever.

Human dignity goes along way to both sides of the workplace: PHBs AND
geeks.

Kevin