[CLUE-Talk] CMM and Process Improvements

David Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Tue Apr 23 18:23:04 MDT 2002

Kevin Cullis wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> This week end I was with some great people and a discussion around CMM
> and process improvement came about. Thought this might be of interest to
> those that are now getting it.

I mentioned that I heard Kent Beck.  If you read anything about Extreme
Programming, I'd be interested to hear your take.  I don't know much about
either XP or CMM.

But, one of the questions to Kent was "what do you think of CMM".  He pretty
much said that XP and CMM people can't talk because their mindsets and
language are so far apart.  He also said that CMM has its roots in
manufacturing and that software development is *not* manufacturing.  So in
his opinion CMM doesn't work and isn't appropriate for any project.

Obviously CMM does something for the level 5 companies, so perhaps it isn't
as bad as Kent makes it out.  There are certainly elements of religious
fervor on both sides.

I'd be interested to hear from someone who has experience with both.

Dave