[CLUE-Talk] CMM and Process Improvements

Jeffery Cann fabian at jefferycann.com
Tue Apr 23 22:07:41 MDT 2002

On Tuesday 23 April 2002 06:23 pm, David Anselmi wrote:
> But, one of the questions to Kent was "what do you think of CMM".  He
> pretty much said that XP and CMM people can't talk because their mindsets
> and language are so far apart.  He also said that CMM has its roots in
> manufacturing and that software development is *not* manufacturing.  So in
> his opinion CMM doesn't work and isn't appropriate for any project.

Dave,

Check out this article.  Note that Mark Paulk is one of the creators of CMM,
so take it with a grain of salt.

Mark C. Paulk, " Extreme Programming from a CMM Perspective," IEEE Software,
Vol. 18, No. 6, November/December 2001, pp. 19-26.
  http://www.sei.cmu.edu/cmm/papers/xp-cmm.pdf

For other articles on CMM:
  http://www.sei.cmu.edu/cmm/cmm.articles.html

What I have found most interesting to this point is the published level 4 and
5 companies.  As of Jan 2002, there are 139.  78 of them are in India.  Of
the few American companies, all? of them are government contractors.

Still looking for legitimate case studies.  Unfortunately, those publised by
SEI are couched with phrases such as 'we cannot fully disclose the practices
of company X, which is level 5 because of non-disclosure agreements.'

Hmm.
Jeff