[CLUE-Talk] [Fwd: FW: [Fwd: NBC's 75th Birthday Celebration!]]

jbrockmeier at earthlink.net jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 25 19:43:28 MDT 2002

On Thu, 25 Apr 2002, Jeffery Cann wrote:

> On Thursday 25 April 2002 03:24 pm, jbrockmeier at earthlink.net wrote:
> > When will legitimate businesses learn that most marketing companies
> > DO NOT have lists of people happy to receive unsolicited commercial
> > email?
>
> LOL --
>
> This just in... Companies spam you, me, everyone because IT WORKS.  If no one
> ever clicked on a spam link or bought something as a result of advertising,
> then no company would continue to spend money on it.

I can honestly say that I don't know of anyone that has ever bought
anything as a result of spam.

Particularly now, I'd think that a legitimate business would go out
of its way to avoid sending anything even perceived as spam.

> Sure, those of us with a minor clue about technology and those of us who
> value our privacy hate spam.  But does that stop it?  A few unhappy
> customers?  Big deal.

I think it's more than that. Anyone with an email address these days
is getting bombarded with spam - we wouldn't have congresscritters
proposing anti-spam legislation if it weren't for the fact that the
average person is responding negatively to it as well. Hell, Earthlink
is running a major TV campaign about their anti-spam tools - and
I don't think they're going after (exclusively, anyway) the
technically-savvy.

It's like telemarketing. Who are the idiots that are making it
worthwhile?

Zonker
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier -=- jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
http://www.DissociatedPress.net/
ymessenger: jbrockmeier / AIM: ZonkerJoe