[CLUE-Talk] [Fwd: FW: [Fwd: NBC's 75th Birthday Celebration!]]

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Thu Apr 25 19:12:41 MDT 2002

On Thu, Apr 25, 2002 at 07:00:19PM -0600, Jeffery Cann wrote:
> On Thursday 25 April 2002 03:24 pm, jbrockmeier at earthlink.net wrote:
> > When will legitimate businesses learn that most marketing companies
> > DO NOT have lists of people happy to receive unsolicited commercial
> > email?
>
> LOL --
>
> This just in... Companies spam you, me, everyone because IT WORKS.  If no one
> ever clicked on a spam link or bought something as a result of advertising,
> then no company would continue to spend money on it.

Dunno about advertising ... it's often hard to tell if it actually works
or not (and there are those who say it doesn't). But direct marketing,
yeah, unfortunately I think Jeff's right. And I think we'll see businesses
give up telemarketing, which probably annoys far more people to a far
greater degree, before they give up spam.

I mean, think about it--when was the last time an e-mail message interrupted
your dinner?

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, Colorado, USA