[CLUE-Talk] Fwd: FC: Bush administration is cool to Sen. Hollings' copyright bill

jbrockmeier at earthlink.net jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 28 13:25:24 MDT 2002

On Sun, 28 Apr 2002, Charlie Oriez wrote:

>    "Before Congress rushes into the imposition of a legislative
>    solution," Rogan said, "I hope its members will grant more time
>  for the free market to find its own middle ground."

Loosely translated:

"We want to stick it to customers just as much as Disney, but we're
pretty sure if we pass a law like this it will be overturned, so
we're going to scare the hardware and software industries into
doing this themselves - just like we did in the 80's and 90's with
the PMRC to the record companies."

>    At a conference on Thursday, Rogan said: "The DMCA carefully
>  balances the interests of all stakeholders to ensure that content
>  owners would enjoy the protection they need to put their works on
>  the Internet and to ensure that appropriate fair use is maintained
>  for consumers, scientists and educators."

Loosely translated:

"Not really."

Zonker
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier -=- jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
http://www.DissociatedPress.net/
ymessenger: jbrockmeier / AIM: ZonkerJoe
"I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our
moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our
government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the
laws of the country." -- Thomas Jefferson