[CLUE-Talk] MS now apparently thinks that a computer hardware and OS are a single unit

BOF bof at pcisys.net
Tue Apr 30 07:09:31 MDT 2002

Here's another fine MS FUD, now treating computers and their OS as a
single unit:

    http://www.microsoft.com/education/?id=DonatedComputers

An article on The Register even goes so far to state that MS says that
if the computer came with Windows on it, then it is illegal to remove
Windows and install any other OS, although the OS can be upgraded to
another MS OS (according to the MS page).

    http://www.theregus.com/content/4/24811.html

This article also mentions how MS allows someone donating a computer to
get around the requirement -- a fact cleverly not mentioned on the MS page.

This "legal requirement" (which I would like to know the basis for,
other than MS saying it is one) probably explains why the newer
computers don't come with a complete OS, just some "recovery CD" ---
even though the consumer gets charged full price for the OS. But to
translate this to car terms, I read this as "if I buy a car, I have to
keep using the original brand tires and batteries for the life of the
car, and then unless it has the original engine, battery and tires, I
can't donate it to anyone."

ROFLOL.

BOF