[CLUE-Talk] MS now apparently thinks that a computer hardware and OS are a single unit

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Tue Apr 30 22:37:46 MDT 2002

* Jef Barnhart (jef at batky-howell.com) wrote:
> I think that a better analogy would be that you are just leasing the computer.
> When you lease you can do anything that you want to the car but when you turn
> it in after the lease it needs to be in "as leased" condition.

That is true for the software.  You are sort of "leasing" that.  But
what about the computer?  You *own* that, it is your property.  And MS
believes they have the right to tell me that I can't remove Windows from
it?  *EXCUSE ME?*  That is my property.  I can set the darn thing on fire
if I want.  They have absolutely no place in telling me that I can't
take that copy of Windows off of the computer.

Tim