[CLUE-Talk] JSP and browsers?

grant.johnson at twcable.com grant.johnson at twcable.com
Thu Aug 1 12:19:55 MDT 2002

>What exactly are you disagreeing with here?

I disagree with Explorer being a nicer "user experience"  I have Win2K
at work, but use Netscape 6.2.3 by choice.

>Yeah, if you have half a %&*)$@#*( gigabyte of memory. My main desktop
>machine has 128MB (the most my motherboard will support), and either
>Mozilla or Netscape 6 is painfully sluggish on it. I don't like being
>forced to upgrade my hardware in order to run new software--in fact, one
>of the reasons I started using Linux in the first place was that you
>could get more out of your hardware, and not be forced to buy a new
>machine every year. Oh well, those were the days, huh?

I have an AMD 300 with 128M of memory.  Performance is fine here.
 Initially opening the application is painful, but after that, opening
new windows, render times, etc are all better than IE or Netscape on my
work PC (P4 933 256M memory all SCSI 3 Win2K)

>I like Konqueror too, but it has a habit of totally hosing X sessions on
>my laptop. Hosing as in, even if I log in through ssh and kill X, the
>machine is totally frozen, and can only be "rescued" by turning off the
>power. I suppose it is ultimately a hardware issue, but only a few
>apps cause this problem, and most of them are KDE.

What version?  I have had 0 stability issues.  Also,
http://www.memtest86.org (or is it .com...) has a good memory test,
which is the most common problem.

>Lastly, before everyone joins in pillorying me for a seemingly
>pro-Microsoft statement, please note that I said "there are times."
>Since I am a Linux user, I rarely use Internet Explorer. Seems like I
>shouldn't have to say that, but since the flamethrowers come out every
>time somebody mentions Microsoft in a not-totally-negative way ...

No, it is just that I have used their product, and found something I
like better.  I tried it.  It seems OK, but it just seems like the
machine controls more than I do with it.  It doesn't have the smooth, I
am in control feeling.  It is also slow and renders pages unreliably.  I
had a page not rendering right.  I used wget to retrieve everything off
of it, then viewed it from my local drive.  As I hit reload, I got 3 to
4 different alignments of things, even though everything was local and
static.  The render problems in the other browsers are at least
consistently the same.