[CLUE-Talk] JSP and browsers?

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Thu Aug 1 10:58:38 MDT 2002

On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 10:36:30AM -0600, grant.johnson at twcable.com wrote:

> >>Well, IE does have something like a 90% market share, and arguably
> >>delivers a much better user experience than Netscape. There are times
> >>when I wish there were a Linux version of it.
> >>

> >Boo, hiss. ;-)
> >
> Being someone who switches browsers more often than some change
> underwear, I would have to strongly disagree.

What exactly are you disagreeing with here?

> Netscape 4 was great when
> new, but became decidedly dated before 6 hit, then 6 was a disaster.
> 6.2 is fine, and even nice.  Mozilla is better, as it has less baggage
> (cute add ons).

Yeah, if you have half a %&*)$@#*( gigabyte of memory. My main desktop
machine has 128MB (the most my motherboard will support), and either
Mozilla or Netscape 6 is painfully sluggish on it. I don't like being
forced to upgrade my hardware in order to run new software--in fact, one
of the reasons I started using Linux in the first place was that you
could get more out of your hardware, and not be forced to buy a new
machine every year. Oh well, those were the days, huh?

> Opera was OK, but you need high resolution.  My laptop
> only does 800X600, and this made Opera almost unuseable on it.  On other
> machines, though, it is very nice.  That said, my current favorite is
> Konqueror.  I think I am on version 3.02.

I like Konqueror too, but it has a habit of totally hosing X sessions on
my laptop. Hosing as in, even if I log in through ssh and kill X, the
machine is totally frozen, and can only be "rescued" by turning off the
power. I suppose it is ultimately a hardware issue, but only a few
apps cause this problem, and most of them are KDE.

Lastly, before everyone joins in pillorying me for a seemingly
pro-Microsoft statement, please note that I said "there are times."
Since I am a Linux user, I rarely use Internet Explorer. Seems like I
shouldn't have to say that, but since the flamethrowers come out every
time somebody mentions Microsoft in a not-totally-negative way ...

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, Colorado, USA
mgushee at havenrock.com