[CLUE-Talk] Linux Fun-da-mentals details... \\ cross/multi-list posting

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Wed Aug 21 15:47:05 MDT 2002

On 21 Aug 2002 at 12:25, bill ehlert wrote:

> **  sure, it's annoying to get 2 or 3 copies
>     of a msg.
>
>     yet, from the stats on list membership
>     on another recent post, it's necessary
>     to post on 3 lists to reach everybody
>     associated with CLUE.
>
>     so whaddayagonnado?

Respect traditional Netiquette, until someone comes up with a better
set of rules.

>     "no cross/multi-list posting!!!"  may
>     be too simple an answer to work.

I agree to the extend that there should be no ironclad prohibition on
posting to both lists. Once in a while there are important messages
that really need to get out to all the members. But I don't think
you're talking about occasional exceptions.

My opinion is that in general, the recipient's right to subscribe to a
limited set of topics outweighs the sender's right to be heard. You
could argue that almost any topic posted on any of the CLUE lists
*might* be of interest to all the members. But people have their
reasons for choosing to subscribe to all the lists, or to only one.
Those who choose only one list are aware that they will miss some
messages.

The CLUE lists, like all ethically-run mailing lists, use an opt-in
subscription system. If you think "my stuff is so good that everyone
will want to know about it, so I don't need to decide which list to
post to; those who aren't interested can just tune it out" you are in
effect injecting a strain of opt-out content into the lists. People who
cross-post are by no means the moral equivalent of spammers, but it's a
milder form of the same sort of logic that spammers use to justify
their invasions of our privacy.

Bottom line: those who want to know everything subscribe to all the
lists. Posters should respect the choice of the rest by choosing the
appropriate list to post to. If that choice is often hard (it never has
been for me), then maybe it's time to reconsider the list charters.

Matt Gushee
Englewood, CO, USA