[CLUE-Talk] Bowling for Columbine

bof bof at pcisys.net
Mon Dec 2 10:15:22 MST 2002

Jed S. Baer wrote:

>There used to be a bank in Boulder that did this. Used to see them in ads
>for Weatherby rifles all the time.

The deal (IIRC) was offered up until the early 1990's by the Bank of
Boulder. The rifle in question, along with a scope and some ammo, was
one of the better Weatherby's --- not exactly a low-cost, low-quality
brand. In order to get it, the customer had to open an account with a
minimum of $5,000 (1980's dollars) and buy a CD, which was locked for a
period (I believe 5 years) in lieu of any interest on the account.

The deal wasn't too bad -- the rate of return was such that it was close
to the MFR cost of the package, and, for those who had the money to
invest, wasn't a bad deal. The cost was such that not just anyone would
take advantage of it.

Until the media demagogues, like the idiot who made Bowling for
Columbine, got hold of it and somehow made it sound terribly, terribly
evil, like anyone with $5 could open an account and immediately get a
free gun.

And which is why I will boycott the film: I refuse to put any more money
into the coffers of such scum to allow them to continue the hate-crime
filled pogroms that they conduct against gun owners.

And, BTW, what's so bad about giving a rifle as opposed to giving a
laptop computer? Both are inert, inanimate objects whose use depends
entirely upon the operator: the computers of Harris and Klebold figured
prominent in their lives. Where are the cries for a seven-day waiting
period  when buying a computer?

BOF