[CLUE-Talk] Bowling for Columbine

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Mon Dec 2 00:53:00 MST 2002

* Jed S. Baer (thag at frii.com) wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Dec 2002 23:45:26 -0700
> Jeffery Cann <fabian at jefferycann.com> wrote:

> There used to be a bank in Boulder that did this. Used to see them in ads
> for Weatherby rifles all the time. They had an affiliation. Or, maybe it
> was ads for the bank, but the "splash" on the ad was essentially, "own a
> Weatherby for nothing". It was a promotion for certificates of deposit.
> I'm pretty sure the rifle was in lieu of all or most of the interest on
> the account.
>
> Not sure why doing so would be "over the line". What line would that be?

So it honestly doesn't bother you?  A bank giving a gun to people that
use some service of the bank?

Seems kind of sad to me.  I'm not a proponent of strict gun control, nor
am I a rabid opponent.  I don't think it is a particularly important
issue right now in our society.  I guess if the bank were in an area
where hunting was popular, and the Weatherby was a hunting rifle (is
it?), it would make some economic sense.  It would make good sense if
this was 1820 Boulder, and rifle may be needed to hunt deer to eat
(although even then, I suspect a lot of people got their food some other
way than hunting).

It just seems anachronistic at best, and irresponsible at worst, to me.

Although I guess I would agree with you that it may not be "over the
line," in any strict sense.  As long as the bank complied with all of
the local regulation regarding gun sales.  I wouldn't really support an
action to make something like that illegal.  But I sure wouldn't bank
there.  A bit to 'backwoodsish' for me.

If they gave out a pistol or an assault Rolfe, I would consider that
"over the line."  But I assume that was not the case.

Tim