[CLUE-Talk] Bowling for Columbine

Randy Arabie randy at arabie.org
Mon Dec 2 14:28:24 MST 2002

On Monday,  2 December 2002 at 14:03:26 -0700, Jim Ockers <ockers at ockers.net> wrote:
> > > [guns]
>
> This is SO off-topic to Linux and open source software.  I hate to
> perpetuate this thread.

Probably why it appears on clue-talk, rather than clue-tech.  According
to the list charter, it is "open to any discussions of a non-technical
nature that may be of interest to LUG members."  Since the original post
was posted by a member, then I guess the topic is fair game.

> > A glaring example of the failure of waiting periods and background=20
> > checks is Columbine.  If a waiting period had been applied, it would
> > not have stopped Klebold and Harris, thier firearms were purchased=20
> > months before the crime.  And, since some of the firearms were=20
> > purchased at a gun show, no background check was required for those.
>
> That is an incorrect statement, as is the entire notion of the "gun-show
> loophole" that has been propagated by the anti-gun groups.
>
> There are two kinds of entities which sell firearms: registered firearms
> dealers who hold a Federal Firearms License; and individuals.
>
> Every FFL holder is required to conduct the required background check
> for every firearms sale, regardless of where the sale is held.  It is
> against the law for any FFL holder to sell a firearm without conducting
> the required background check.
>
> Individuals are not required to conduct background checks on the sale
> of private property to another individual, regardless of where the sale
> is held.  This is a common-sense law.  Imagine the size of the bureaucracy
> to administer this idea.  Do you believe it would be properly managed?
>
> I would venture to say that most of the sales at gun shows are from FFL
> holders to other FFL holders or individuals.
>
> > Colorado has "closed" the gun show loophole.  But there are still=20
>
> There was no loophole.
>
> > many methods to aquire a firearm without having a background check. I=20
> > don't know how Klebold and Harris aquired all the firearms they used,
> > but I don't think they purchased any of them legally, since both=20
> > were under the age of 18...right?
>
> The firearms purchased by the Columbine killers were purchased illegally.
> An adult female purchased the firearms on their behalf.  This is called
> a straw purchase and is illegal.  If the background check was conducted,
> it was conducted on the adult female purchaser.  Do you see why straw
> purchases are illegal?
>
> If you believe that more gun laws would have stopped the Columbine
> killers, you probably believe in the "honest, law-abiding criminal"
> variety of individual.  The honest "law-abiding murderer" does not exist.
>
> I saw a funny cartoon once.  It showed a bunch of rough-looking characters
> and one of them was saying "OK all you drug dealers.  We now have to put
> trigger locks on all our stolen guns!"  Obviously trigger lock and other
> firearms safety laws are not effective to make criminals start obeying
> the laws.
>
> ...Unless they're good, honest, law-abiding criminals of course...

I agree with your analysis Jim.  In fact, you have done a better job than I
at making my point.
--
Allons Rouler!

Randy