[CLUE-Talk] Bowling for Columbine

Randy Arabie randy at arabie.org
Tue Dec 3 05:11:35 MST 2002

On Monday,  2 December 2002 at 22:17:08 -0700, Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier <clue at dissociatedpress.net> wrote:

<---SNIP--->

> A "hate-crime" is not just saying something negative about someone.
> Specifically, a so-called "hate-crime" is when someone commits a
> violent act motivated by hatred of a race, ethnicity or sexual
> preference. Saying mean things about gun proponents doesn't fit
> in the same category and you sound like an idiot trying to compare
> the two. If the worst thing anyone does is to say mean things about
> your choice of gun ownership or to make fun of a particular political
> group, I'd say that's pretty lightweight. I don't recall hearing
> about any NRA members being beaten up (or worse) by anti-gun activists.

IMHO, the "hate-crime" distinction is silly.  If someone commits a violent
act against someone, there is probably already a law in place to handle
the crime.  Why should there be another?  How is it different if you
kill someone based on their political view as opposed to their sexual
preference?  IOW, killing libertarian political candidates becuase they
are libertarian would not be a hate crime, but killing gay men because
they are gay would be a hate crime.  I don't get it.
--
Allons Rouler!

Randy
http://www.arabie.org/