[CLUE-Talk] Bowling for Columbine

Kevin Cullis kevincu at orci.com
Tue Dec 3 23:23:22 MST 2002

Hi all,

Various comments below:

-----------------
Marine Corps General Reinwald was interviewed on the radio a while back
and you have to read his reply to the lady who interviewed him
concerning guns and children. Regardless of how you feel about gun laws
you got to love this! This is one of the best comeback lines of all
time. It is a portion of a National Public Radio (NPR) interview between
a female broadcaster and US Marine Corps General Reinwald who was about
to sponsor a Boy Scout Troop visiting his military installation.

FEMALE INTERVIEWER: So, General Reinwald, what things are you going to
teach these young boys when they visit your base?

GENERAL REINWALD: We're going to teach them climbing, canoeing, archery,
and shooting sports.

FEMALE INTERVIEWER: Shooting! That's a bit irresponsible, isn't it?

GENERAL REINWALD: I don't see why, they'll be properly supervised on the
rifle range.

FEMALE INTERVIEWER: Don't you admit that this is a terribly dangerous
activity to be teaching children?

GENERAL REINWALD: I don't see how. We will be teaching them proper rifle
discipline before they even touch a firearm.

FEMALE INTERVIEWER: But you're equipping them to become violent killers.

GENERAL REINWALD: Well, you're equipped to be a prostitute, butyou're
not one, are you?

The radio went silent and the interview ended.
-------------------
Using a laptop versus a gun to "take people out:"  Do you think the
CXO's of Enron took out a few thousand people, i.e. "held them up," or a
cracker who steals credit card numbers or someone who does identiy
theft?  They are all criminals!!

> The second point is that as much as I admire our Constitution, it is not
> perfect.  Preventing me from owning a nuclear bomb for use in a militia
> would seem to be a violation of the document.  One can not run to the
> Constitution to solve all arguments: those who wrote it were human, and
> may have made mistakes.

Do you think Bill Gates needs a Nuclear weapon to get what he wants?