[CLUE-Talk] Job web sites to visit

mgushee at havenrock.com mgushee at havenrock.com
Thu Dec 5 21:03:55 MST 2002

On 5 Dec 2002 at 20:42, Jed S. Baer wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Dec 2002 15:15:44 -0700
> Sean LeBlanc <seanleblanc at americanisp.net> wrote:
>
> > Oracle's hardly unique in this matter, of course. But since they are #2
> > largest software developer in sales - it doesn't bode well for my (and
> > other American developers') future.
> >
> > I'm not being entirely facetious about moving, either. I don't want to
> > be forced to change careers - I love coding. But if things continue the
> > way they are going....I'll have little choice. I guess the question is
> > whether they will let the average American emigrate there.
>
> A bit more commentary here: http://rc3.org/cgi-bin/less.pl?arg=4694

Hmm, ok. To the extent that the question is, "What can you do for yourself here and
now?" I think the guy's right on. But I also think he's missing the big picture: what's
happening now to IT jobs has already happened to manufacturing jobs, and if
current trends continue (why wouldn't they?), pretty soon if you're not a doctor, a
lawyer, a C-level executive at a major corporation, or a star entertainer, you can
forget about aspiring to even a middle-class lifestyle.

At the root of much of this is so-called "free trade", which really means free
movement of capital. And in signing up for NAFTA, the WTO, and the upcoming
GATS (General Agreement on Trade in Services), our government is taking most of
our economic policy entirely out of the democratic arena (what's left of it) and
placing it in the hands of unelected and unaccountable bureaucrats. So until the
citizens of this country wake up and take back their rights (I'm not holding my
breath), we're all going to be spending the rest of our lives defending our meager
little pieces of the pie.

Welcome to the 21st Century.

--
Matt Gushee