[CLUE-Talk] Job web sites to visit

Jeffery Cann fabian at jefferycann.com
Thu Dec 5 21:58:40 MST 2002

On Thursday 05 December 2002 09:03 pm, mgushee at havenrock.com wrote:
> Hmm, ok. To the extent that the question is, "What can you do for yourself
> here and now?" I think the guy's right on. But I also think he's missing
> the big picture: what's happening now to IT jobs has already happened to
> manufacturing jobs,

I agree totally.

> and if current trends continue (why wouldn't they?),
> pretty soon if you're not a doctor, a lawyer, a C-level executive at a
> major corporation, or a star entertainer, you can forget about aspiring to
> even a middle-class lifestyle.

Here, I disagree.  Although we (the technologists) as educated and 'skilled'
labor believe or assume that we are insolated from the perils of those
laborers (formerly) working in the 'manufacturing' sector.  The fact is they
were skilled and trained and now are replaced (for example in the automotive
industry) largely by automation and robots.

Here's another example -- Sun's goal of putting all sysadmins out of work (N1
technology).  Read the first paragraph of this article and you'll get Sun's
point of view:
 + http://www.serverworldmagazine.com/monthly/2002/11/roadmap.shtml

According to Business Week (Nov 25 issue), all of the other big firms (HP,
MSFT, Oracle, etc.) have similar goals.  Why are these firms proposing such
plans which will obviously hurt all our future career aspects?

The main reason is that the majority of the cost of running a business is
labor.  In my 400-person business unit at Standard & Poor's, over 80% of our
operating costs are labor.  So:

	fewer laborers --> lower operating cost = higher profit

Note that only about 100 of our 400 employees actually work in technical
fields (DBA, Development, QA, QC, SA).

Believe me, if my company could live without us, they would whack our jobs in
an instant.  Right now, they cannot and our benefits to the company outweigh
the costs.  30 years ago, we used to distribute our data in books, published
twice a year.  If my company could get away with still publishing books, they
would do it, simply to save the never-ending costs of technology.  But, their
customers demanded monthly, then weekly, then daily, and now real-time access
to our financial data.  So, the company puts up with all of the computers and
geeks like us because they _have_ to -- either use computers or go out of
business.

Unfortunately, those of us who thought that 'getting a college education' or
'getting a technical job' would protect us from the cold facts of capitalism
are fooling ourselves.  We are no different than dedicated factory worker of
the 1960s who was laid off in the 1980s because his job was automated out of
existence.  It will happen to us too, so be prepared for it.  The fact that
most of us have college degrees does not matter.  To a business, we are all
labor -- or to use the latest assine term - we are all 'human capital'.

> At the root of much of this is so-called "free trade", which really means
> free movement of capital. And in signing up for NAFTA, the WTO, and the
> upcoming GATS (General Agreement on Trade in Services), our government is
> taking most of our economic policy entirely out of the democratic arena
> (what's left of it) and placing it in the hands of unelected and
> unaccountable bureaucrats. So until the citizens of this country wake up
> and take back their rights (I'm not holding my breath), we're all going to
> be spending the rest of our lives defending our meager little pieces of the
> pie.

I think the 'free trade' argument is too much of a conspiracy theory.  It
would be nice to blame NAFTA or WTO for the problems of the elimination of
technology workers.  But, I think the answer is simply capitalism.  Profit
drives everything.  The trade agreements are just another vehicle to drive
profit.  So, I think your blame / anger is better placed on capitalism.

Ironically, I think that technology has enabled things like 'free trade' to
come to fruition.  Were it not for a global communications network and
sophisticated software to track and ship orders, what use is world-wide
trade?  We (the technologists) are victims of our own success.  We have
enabled our business leaders to consider the elimination our jobs because we
have became too good at improving / automating business processes.

<sarcasm>
I look forward to the day when we can all live a simpler lifestyle after the
robots take over.  Unfortunately, I'm afraid that at 31 years old, I won't
live to see the utopia I see portrayed in Star Trek movies.
</sarcasm>

Jeff

--
    planet earth (tm)