[CLUE-Talk] Job web sites to visit

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at americanisp.net
Thu Dec 5 22:48:57 MST 2002

On 12-05 21:58, Jeffery Cann wrote:
> On Thursday 05 December 2002 09:03 pm, mgushee at havenrock.com wrote:
> > Hmm, ok. To the extent that the question is, "What can you do for yourself
> > here and now?" I think the guy's right on. But I also think he's missing
> > the big picture: what's happening now to IT jobs has already happened to
> > manufacturing jobs,
>
> I agree totally.
>
> > and if current trends continue (why wouldn't they?),
> > pretty soon if you're not a doctor, a lawyer, a C-level executive at a
> > major corporation, or a star entertainer, you can forget about aspiring to
> > even a middle-class lifestyle.
>
> Here, I disagree.  Although we (the technologists) as educated and 'skilled'
> labor believe or assume that we are insolated from the perils of those
> laborers (formerly) working in the 'manufacturing' sector.  The fact is they
> were skilled and trained and now are replaced (for example in the automotive
> industry) largely by automation and robots.

But this isn't quite the same thing - we are not being automated out of
existence, we are considered too expensive, and there is *no way* for us to
compete on that price, given the disparate economic climates. I'm all for
free trade, but I'm not sure that unfettered globalism = free trade.

Also, in manufacturing, those people may have been trained, but how many
manufacturing jobs required at least a Bachelor's degree? Even in the boom
years, I saw plenty of jobs requiring a Bachelor's degree. I have no doubt
that some manufacturing people tried to be the best at what they do, but I
doubt they had to do nearly the amount of work (outside of the workplace) to
stay on top of their game - and they sure didn't need to go to school for
it.

I'm not sure what a solution is, but for now at least, I think the
government should transfer some of the tax burden onto some type of tariff
on outsourced work...companies could afford those salaries before, they
could afford some sort of tariff. It at least beats robbing people via death
taxes, capital gains taxes, etc....it's certainly no solution though.

Anyone here know anything about becoming a lawyer? No joke...maybe going
back to school is a better long-term solution.

> Here's another example -- Sun's goal of putting all sysadmins out of work (N1
> technology).  Read the first paragraph of this article and you'll get Sun's
> point of view:
>  + http://www.serverworldmagazine.com/monthly/2002/11/roadmap.shtml
>
> According to Business Week (Nov 25 issue), all of the other big firms (HP,
> MSFT, Oracle, etc.) have similar goals.  Why are these firms proposing such
> plans which will obviously hurt all our future career aspects?
>
> The main reason is that the majority of the cost of running a business is
> labor.  In my 400-person business unit at Standard & Poor's, over 80% of our
> operating costs are labor.  So:
>
> 	fewer laborers --> lower operating cost = higher profit

Again, different scenario. They are not getting fewer laborers. They are
exploiting the different living conditions and/or strength of the dollar in
other countries and maybe even using MORE laborers.

Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at americanisp.net
http://users.americanisp.net/~seanleblanc/
Get MLAC at: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mlac/
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
-Indian Proverb