[CLUE-Talk] Job web sites to visit

G. Richard Raab rraab at plusten.com
Thu Dec 5 23:37:14 MST 2002

On Thursday 05 December 2002 10:48 pm, Sean LeBlanc wrote:

> But this isn't quite the same thing - we are not being automated out of
> existence, we are considered too expensive, and there is *no way* for us to
> compete on that price, given the disparate economic climates. I'm all for
> free trade, but I'm not sure that unfettered globalism = free trade.

Actually, we are being automated out. The weaker coders will go bye-bye and
the better coders will be employeed by those that were smart enough to see
what it happening. Rather than looking at manufactuering, look at home
building a sa better example.
In the not-to-far past, the arch., engineer, and builder were one and the same
(think pre 40's,50's). Then there was a seperation of ppl with some overlap.
More important, those who were good succeeded hile the bad went bye-bye.
There are less mechanical and construction engineers then ever before.
Engineers use to approve every thing, but these days, Specialized programs do
about 95% of the work on simple projects. Why? becuase, simple projects have
well figured out design principles so that objects get created for use (2x4
Stud, 4x8 drywall). The real problem is that it is not easily reproducible
due to variations in the natural material, so you switch to man-made material
( steal - liek changin to a different programming language ). Now, even fewer
engineers will be needed.
As to archetects, houses and many commercial building are reapeated over and
over with slight differences. You can now buy programs that will allow you to
semi-customize a house. What few arch. that we have work for a small # of
companies that design huge projects that will push the rules. These will be
handcrafted by the best.
Well, what about the builders. The everyday builder of your house are really
2'nd rate. More often than not the builder of your house is a subcontractor
to somebody else. These ppl have specialized at doning jsut the same damn
thing over and over. Routinely they got their job due to a bit of asskissing.
Do they have a degree or construction managment degree? few do noadays. Many
of the contractors are business ppl and the subs will have 1-2 knowledgable
ppl on each site that directs a bunch of monkeys around.

	Make no mistake about this; We are headed in the same direction. That is why
MS is pushing real hard right now to keep control of the desktop. This is so
very important as we are doing another paradigm shift. This shift will say
bye-bye to those that do not have top notch programming skills.
I will repeat this again for  Sys.Ads. and Net.ads. as they will be the first:
This shift will say bye-bye to those that do not have top notch programming
skills.
MS always required way too many ppl and they have distorted the market.
 Diskless computing is, finally, a good reality and AUTOMATED remote sys/net
admin is just starting up.

> > I think the 'free trade' argument is too much of a conspiracy theory.  It
> > would be nice to blame NAFTA or WTO for the problems of the elimination
> > of technology workers.  But, I think the answer is simply capitalism.
> > Profit drives everything.  The trade agreements are just another vehicle
> > to drive profit.  So, I think your blame / anger is better placed on
> > capitalism.

I have re-tooled from a early 80's geneticist (doing civilin, then biowarefare
due to the fueher raygun) to a software engineer. This was simply capitalism.
The civilian market collapsed as raygun diverted research dollars to darpa/dod
$$. Sound familiar?  This will cause a bit of a collapse in our industry and
those with MS (as in master of science) CS/CE/EE will do fine. The rest of us
will have to be cautious and make sure that we are at the start of each new
wave that is happening, or create your own. The last is actually your best
bet, but the riskiest.
Best to be up topside crapping then down below wondering what is coming down
the pipeline.