[CLUE-Talk] Job web sites to visit

Jeffery Cann fabian at jefferycann.com
Fri Dec 6 06:41:52 MST 2002

On Thursday 05 December 2002 10:48 pm, Sean LeBlanc wrote:

> Again, different scenario. They are not getting fewer laborers. They are
> exploiting the different living conditions and/or strength of the dollar in
> other countries and maybe even using MORE laborers.

This is not the case from my example of N1 plan by Sun.  Here's an excerpt
from the article.  Notice the last sentence -- without having to keep an army
of system administrators...'

"N1 is focused on reducing that number and allowing companies to use their
resources on added value projects and doing more with less. N1 is an
evolution of the system that will have a revolutionary effect on the data
center," MacKay said. "In the N1 world, customers can expand their IT
resources to an unprecedented scale, increase utilization rates exponentially
and deploy new services in hours without having to keep an army of systems
administrators working on maintaining the network."

Given this statement from a Sun representative, explain to me how a system of
system administrators (assumed to have college degrees) won't lose their
jobs?

It is _exactly_ the same thing as manufacturing.  Just because you and I have
degrees doesn't mean our jobs won't be whacked.  Whether you think you'll be
replaced by so called 'foreign' labor or automated out of existence (my
point) you're still out of a job.

In the near term, I agree with you that a lot of higher priced labor in the US
may be replaced by lower cost 'foreign' labor.  But, in the long term,
automation will replace most everyone, foreign or domestic.

Jeff

--
    planet earth (tm)
http://jefferycann.com/