[CLUE-Talk] Job web sites to visit

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at americanisp.net
Fri Dec 6 08:32:16 MST 2002

On 12-06 06:55, Jeffery Cann wrote:
> On Friday 06 December 2002 06:11 am, Mike Miller wrote:
> > What India WON'T take away is local support. Companies NEED fingers to
> > push reset buttons, hot swap drives, lay cable, etc.
>
> Actually, they will:
>
> + http://www.serverworldmagazine.com/monthly/2002/11/roadmap.shtml
>
> > No one OWES you ANYTHING. They don't owe you an IT position, they don't
> > OWE you a middle-class income. The reason why America is the richest
> > nation on the planet, with the largest military, and the largest number
> > of millionaires and the greatest amount of R&D is because it's peopled
> > by a driven population. It's easy to point fingers at out warts (Enron,
> > Dot Com bust) and cry foul, but that's not really productive.
>
> Amen, Mike! I agree with your no-entitlement perspective.  I think in general
> Americans _expect_ to have a good job simply because they survived college.
>
> IMHO, the only way you'll keep your job (technical or not) is if you provide a
> real benefit to your company.  This benefit may be in terms of profit,
> political or other.  And, as they said on the Sopranos last week:
>
> "You're only as good as your last envelope."

Ack. I didn't intend to imply that I think I'm entitled to anything - I
certainly don't think so, and I wouldn't want to work in that environment. I
was just making some observations about what looks like the end of "IT"
(including what I do - programming) as we know it...and musing on what to do
for a plan B if that does indeed turn out to be the case.

Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at americanisp.net
http://users.americanisp.net/~seanleblanc/
Get MLAC at: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mlac/
No rules for success will work if you don't.