[CLUE-Talk] Job web sites to visit

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at americanisp.net
Sat Dec 7 14:10:50 MST 2002

On 12-06 10:13, Kevin Cullis wrote:
> Yes you do, your customers!!  Whereas before, as the mantra goes, you
> worked for your boss who hopefully worked to take care of the customer.
> Being in business for yourself becomes a negotiation between you and
> your customer to make some money.
>
> Get the book "Now, discover your strengths."  It has an interesting
> statistical statement about bosses on page 246 (I think) that says
> "kissing" your bosses hind quarters DOES NOT make a difference from the
> customer's point of view. In fact, it's actually bad for business!! So,
> the reason you've got a bad boss is because of the bad boss above
> him/her.  Invert the power pyramid and you've got a the best org chart
> to staying in business.

I wonder how many companies really *do* put the customer first? I'd say that
many treat them as possible thieves and not to be trusted, or at best, just
idiots to be pushed around. Otherwise, reactionary sites like
http://www.cluetrain.com wouldn't have popped up. And on the other side: the
DMCA, the Palladium scheme, DVD regional codes and CSS encryption, the
actions of the RIAA, etc...all these things are about forcibly imposing
their will on consumers.

To illustate: how does the DVD regional code serve me, the customer? It's
not even stealing they are worried about - it's about the perils of imports?
"It's much too perilous". :) Sure, there are now regionless players and mods
that can be made, but that was not in the original plans. I guess
globalization is something that multinationals only want *if* it's rigged in
their favor.

I would very much agree that kissing the posterior of your "superior"
provides no benefit to customers - in fact, it would result in hiding
problems that the company should know about to best serve the customers -
but I have my doubts that there are many companies that give "customer
service"[*] anything other than lip service.

I'm sure that the customer does come first for the self-employed as well as
the smaller companies - but I have serious reservations about the
multinationals. Something which adds to the problem is the golden parachutes
of the CXOs and VPs running these - if you make X gazillion dollars on the
way out the door, why would you give a flying fig about the success of the
company OR the happiness of the customers? I'm not just saying that "it's
not fair" or the like - I'm just saying that there is a conflict of
interest.

[*] Whenever I hear the phrase "customer service" I can't help but think of
George Carlin's words on "customer service". :)

Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at americanisp.net
http://users.americanisp.net/~seanleblanc/
Get MLAC at: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mlac/
For years a secret shame destroyed my peace--I'd not read Eliot, Auden or
MacNiece. But now I think a thought that brings me hope: Neither had Chaucer,
Shakespeare, Milton, Pope.
-Justin Richardson.