[CLUE-Talk] Contract Help (website development)

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Sun Dec 8 09:27:35 MST 2002

Hi Folks.

I have the opportunity to submit an estimate for doing website
development. I could use a little advice from folks who are doing this
sort of stuff, regarding typical hourly rates, etc.

The site is a mix of static/dynamic pages. The (currently) two dynamic
areas are news items (posted by the owner), and a classified ad section.
There might be voting-booth section too. There will likely be streaming
audio/video, although that might be added later. Some areas of the site
will require registration, and the registration will have to feed a
confirmed opt-in mailing list(s). Other activities, such as choosing a
hosting company, moving DNS, and setting up the mailing list(s) will be
included.

Since the only stuff like this I've done so far has been either handled
very informally, or on a volunteer basis (and I haven't done a lot of it),
any advice on how to spec/cost it out would be appreciated. Since the guy
has already called me once at 9:30PM, I need some language in the bid for
"after hours support". Any pointers to boilerplate statements of work etc.
will be much appreciated.

There's a graphics development component which might wind up being farmed
out, depending upon how far I can get with it using The GIMP. One piece of
that will be that I'll need to export the logo to a format suitable for
providing to a T-Shirt printing company. If anyone ("Lose FAT Now!") has
any tips on getting that done, that'd be great. Referals for professional
graphic designers who specialize in marketing/logos would be helpful as
well.

Thanks for your help here, folks.
jed
--
We're frogs who are getting boiled in a pot full of single-character
morphemes, and we don't notice. - Larry Wall; Perl6, Apocalypse 5