[CLUE-Talk] RH or Deb ?

Mike Miller mmiller1106 at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 9 08:46:26 MST 2002

Actually, I've found Lycoris to be more 'Windows-ish' than Redhat...and
I've used Mandrake in the past.

Lycoris worked and worked very well for the 'Grandma' like tasks but
fell down when it came time to compile code to add functionality (yes,
I'm aware that I get what I pay for when downloading the iso's myself.
;) ) It had NO problems seeing our NAS box, our network, and all of the
hardware on the Dell workstation it was installed on.

I'm running Knoppix (Debian) at the office and RedHat 8 at home.

Debian's got neat apt-get stuff built in, but the same functionality can
be configured and installed on Redhat. (I can dig up the link if you're
interested) and following the installation instructions for copying the
Live CD to a local drive made for a VERY quick install.

My problem with Redhat was that they REALLY wanted to get additional
money out of you for services. $40 gets you the personal version on CD,
which is worth it as it's damn near impossible to download the .iso's
from the 'net. But they want an additional $80 a year for access to
their update services. Coming from Microsoft where the patches may be
frequent, but at least they're free, was a big eye-opener.

Their default kernel didn't have support built in to see an NTFS drive,
and when I used their 'free 1 month tech support', I found out that my
issue didn't fall under the support umbrella, that the one month free
support was only for installation issues.

IMHO, not being able to access the data on another partition due to
their kernel assumptions would qualify...eh. I avoided the problem by
moving the drive temporarily to another box.

D1,00.asp
>      1. Mandrake: 43.78%
>      2. Redhat: 27.9%
>      3. Suse: 15.41%
>      4. Libranet: 1.42%
>      5. Other: 11.49%
>
>   "Best distribution for beginners," Linux.com (USA), September 24,
> 2001 http://www.linux.com/polls/index.phtml?pid=128
>
>      1. Mandrake - 36.7%
>      2. Redhat - 33.5%
>      3. Suse -13.5%
>      4. Slackware - 5.6%
>      5. Debian - 4.6%
>      6. Caldera - 3.7%
>

> --
>     planet earth (tm)
> http://jefferycann.com/

:wq!
---
Robert L. Harris                     | PGP Key ID: FC96D405

DISCLAIMER:
FYI:
 perl -e 'print
$i=pack(c5,(41*2),sqrt(7056),(unpack(c,H)-2),oct(115),10);'