[CLUE-Talk] Slashdot Gun Control

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier clue at dissociatedpress.net
Mon Dec 16 14:44:19 MST 2002

On Mon, 16 Dec 2002, Timothy C. Klein wrote:

> * Srbraukhof at aol.com (Srbraukhof at aol.com) wrote:
> > I think it's ironic that Michael Moore gets his money and support from
> > the same industry that shows our nation that the best way to solve out
> > problems is through the use of firearms...  Hey Mike... why aren't you
> > lobbying to take Stephen Segal, Arnold Schwartzenagger, Sly Stallone
> > and all the others off the screen?
>
> And that is an *excellent* point!  I have always found it ironic that so
> many very left-leaning Hollywood bigshots play such violent characters.
> In their spare time, they go to Iraq and lobby against the potential war
> (ahem, Sean Penn), but on screen he always seems to be some gun-toting,
> solve everything by shootin' 'em kind of character.

Yeah, I'm sure that "Rambo: The Therapist" is going to rake in huge
bucks at the box office.

If people are drawing their problem-solving skills from action movies,
we've got bigger problems than whether Sean Penn is a hypocrite or not.
A show of hands for everybody who'd like to go see a re-written "Two
Towers" where Bilbo goes with Gollum to Dr. Phil to resolve their
co-dependency issues regarding the ring and everything is solved in a
nice non-violent manner...

Dipolomacy and non-violent solutions would be wonderful in the real
world, but they'd make for awful movies.

Zonker
--
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier
http://www.dissociatedpress.net/