[CLUE-Talk] Slashdot Gun Control

Jeffery Cann fabian at jefferycann.com
Mon Dec 16 17:06:00 MST 2002

On Monday 16 December 2002 11:20 am, Srbraukhof at aol.com wrote:
> I think it's ironic that Michael Moore gets his money and support from the
> same industry that shows our nation that the best way to solve out problems
> is through the use of firearms...

This point of view assumes that by us watching violence in movies, we will act
out in a similar manner during personal conflicts.

Of course, in 'Bowling For Columbine', he uses the Canadian example to argue
against this point.  Specifically, Candians view the same violent Hollywood
blockbusters that we see here (maybe a few months later), yet there is not
the same level of violence.  Thus, he argues there must be another reason for
the level of violence observed in the USA.

> Hey Mike... why aren't you lobbying to
> take Stephen Segal, Arnold Schwartzenagger, Sly Stallone and all the others
> off the screen?

<sarcasm>
If Americans are worried about violence on TV or movies, why are we still
paying to watch them?  Why aren't we boycotting such movies to show our
distaste for the violence?  If folks think this is the real cause of gun
violence in America, then sufficient boycotts would cause the movie studios
to cease production of violent movies.  Then, there would be no more violence
portrayed on screen.  Wouldn't this take care of our problem?
</sarcasm>

Later,
Jeff

--