[CLUE-Talk] Slashdot Gun Control

Kevin Cullis kevincu at orci.com
Mon Dec 16 19:31:16 MST 2002

David Willson wrote:

> As the token almost-closed-minded conservative on the list, I want to
> ask a question:  I see many anti-war web-sites springing up, and many
> people taking an anti-war stance (sometimes combining it with an
> anti-Bush stance).  Generally, they refer to the potential for war with
> Iraq, and express a strong thought of "not in my name".  Now, let it be
> said that I'd have a very hard time declaring a war, too, but...  Well,
> I don't see a lot of alternatives offered by the anti-war crowd.  There
> are a classic set of motivators to war present, and we seem to be faced
> with a pretty simple choice.

I guess the one issue that I don't see the Left providing is security
for me!!  I mean, militaries are nobly meant to secure the borders from
an enemy and to deter aggression, not like Sadam who has used his
military to try and take over 1/2 of the world's oil supply (as seen on
60 minutes last night where Kuwait, Iraq, and Iran would have this
amount if he secured the new borders under Iraq control) by force!!

> What ought we to do, my peace-loving friends?  I love peace too, so I am
> honestly interested in your answer.  Killing people and/or threatening
> to kill people is a lousy solution no matter what the problem, but when
> no other alternative is available...  and a solution is needed (rather
> than 'wanted')...  Then w

The one thing that I would suggest is that we do debate whether we go to
war or not while we're at peace, but once the "trigger" is pulled, we
get behind our President AND troops and support them to the hilt.  Even
our military has their black eyes:

http://www.sofmag.com/story1.html

but please don't use this as a "see I told you so about the military"
from the Left, because you find the same things going on at Enron,
Worldcom, and extremist environmental groups: spewing bad info to CYA
(in some cases).

I personally read SOF mag occasionally to get the "nitty gritty" of
actions around the world that you won't get on CNN and ABC/etc.

Lastly, when it comes to Iraq, there is ONE question that I have NOT
heard asked or answered: what do the Iraqi PEOPLE want?  A recent PBS
show (in the last month or so) had a show about an Iranian American who
was using ALL of his own money to beam anti-Ayatollah messages, peaceful
ones at that, via satellite to Iran.  They jammed his signals and he had
to get a better satellite system, but it was making a difference in the
people's perceptions about American and it's toleration and acceptance
of Muslims, not the crazy ones.

Kevin