[CLUE-Talk] Media outlets

Randy Arabie randy at arabie.org
Thu Dec 19 14:22:19 MST 2002

On Thursday, 19 December 2002 at 13:39:58 -0700, Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier <clue at dissociatedpress.net> wrote:

[snip]

> I believe CNN is now part of the AOL-Time Warner conglomerate these
> days, does Turner still have a piece of that?
>
> I'm not really sure what the ownership situation is in regards to
> Turner these days, if he still owns a piece of it or if he sold it.

I don't know either.  It seems that nearly all media belong to some
mega-conglomerate.  I think we would agree that it probably does reduce
the quality and reliability of the information.

I don't know what the answer to that is...blogs maybe?  I certainly
don't think it should go to government control.

> It's certainly not run as a left-wing organization, though. Check
> out today's story about another Senator putting their foot in mouth
> with a racist comment: Sen. Robert Byrd, D-West Virginia
> http://www.cnn.com/2002/ALLPOLITICS/12/19/senate.race.ap/index.html

I agree that CNN is not left-wing.  But I still believe they lean left.

> > > Any Fox News fans might find this article interesting:
> > > http://www.accessatlanta.com/ajc/business/cnn/1002/07zahn.html
> >
> > Interesting, but I fail to make the connection between it and the
> > general topic "Is the media left- or right-leaning?"
>
> Sorry, it doesn't address left/right, just that Fox is organization
> willing to stoop pretty damn low.

Yeah.  Bickering kids in a turf war.

> > > You might want to reconsider your viewing habits.
> >
> > Or one might consider boycotting CNN just because Ted Turner is
> > married to Hanoi Jane.
>
> I thought they were divorced...?
>
> I'm a bit young to recall the whole Jane Fonda thing firsthand anyway,
> so I don't really have an opinion on it.

I don't know if they are divorced or not.  They may be.  I was not
suggesting a boycott of CNN, just spouting some rhetoric ;)

Here's a link to a synopsis of the Hanoi Jane story:

http://www.snopes.com/military/fonda.htm

--
Allons Rouler!

Randy