[CLUE-Talk] Media outlets

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier clue at dissociatedpress.net
Fri Dec 20 13:29:46 MST 2002

On Thu, 19 Dec 2002, Randy Arabie wrote:

*snip*

> I don't know either.  It seems that nearly all media belong to some
> mega-conglomerate.  I think we would agree that it probably does reduce
> the quality and reliability of the information.

Quality, reliability and access. There is a lot that doesn't get
covered because news organizations are beholden to other companies
within a conglomerate.

> I don't know what the answer to that is...blogs maybe?  I certainly
> don't think it should go to government control.

No, not govt. control. Blogs... well, they certainly have opened
up a new avenue of reporting... but they still leave something
to be desired in terms of accuracy and impartiality. I mean, I blog
myself, but I don't generally do a lot of expose journalism (er, none)
on my blog.

> I agree that CNN is not left-wing.  But I still believe they lean left.

I can't go along with that. They're too corporate.

> > I'm a bit young to recall the whole Jane Fonda thing firsthand anyway,
> > so I don't really have an opinion on it.
>
> I don't know if they are divorced or not.  They may be.  I was not
> suggesting a boycott of CNN, just spouting some rhetoric ;)
>
> Here's a link to a synopsis of the Hanoi Jane story:
>
> http://www.snopes.com/military/fonda.htm

Ah... never was a big fan of Fonda anyway... I recall that John
Wayne refused to speak to her again after this. I doubt I'll be
supporting any of her products or whatever either.

Zonker
--
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier
http://www.dissociatedpress.net/