[CLUE-Talk] OK, I'll bring 'em Re: Free Firewall Boxes, I have 4, all w/ RAM

John Kennedy jhkennedy at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 11 20:13:38 MST 2002

OK, I'll bring 'em

To: clue-talk at clue.denver.co.us
From: Matt Armstrong <matt at lickey.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 16:15:15 -0700
Subject: [CLUE-Talk] Re: Promote yourself...
Sender: clue-talk-admin at clue.denver.co.us

Grant Johnson <grant at amadensor.com> writes:

> But I don't want to be promoted, and I don't want to start doing a
> crappy job to avoid it.  I want to stay techie, and not go into
> middle management hell for more stress, more hours, and less money.
> Any ideas?

First, I doubt middle management means less money.  Still...

It is true that being a good "techie" often makes you look like you'd
be good in management.  You notice that some process isn't maximally
efficient and mention it to your manager (so you look like you'd like
to spend your time making everybody more efficient).  You get really
good at estimating how long it'll take yourself to do something (so
you look like you'd just love to manage the schedule for the whole
project).  You get along well with the whole team, act as a resource
for other folks, and ask for help when you need it (so you look like
you'd be a well liked manager with good "people skills").  You
understand more and more about what the company is doing, its
technology, etc. (so you look like you'd love to put that knowledge to
use directing the company's strategy, etc.).

In the past I've experienced gentle pushes to enter management.  It
usually begins by being given a title with the word "lead" in it.  I
just push back.  I explain that what makes me good is not some goal of
mine to enter management, but because I like "being a techie."  I
usually finish off explaining how much I'd loathe to be a manager.
;-)

--
matt