[CLUE-Talk] Promote yourself...

Jeffery Cann fabian at jefferycann.com
Mon Feb 11 21:15:03 MST 2002

Grant

Have you talked with your boss about your unwillingness move into a manger
slot?   Most managers do not want to train their replacement and then promote
that person if the candidate is not interested.  The result will be an
unhappy and unproductive new manager.  If the new manager is hard-core tech,
they will often just leave the company because they want to remain technical.
 So, then the old manager has to return to his previous job until a new
candidate comes from outside, or he trains another replacement.  A savvy
manager want to avoid any of this BS, so this is why it's important to
communicate your career goals.

One of the problems we have at S&P is that few techies want to move into
management.  At such a large company, the softer skills (aka people skills)
are important and most techs want nothing to do with it.  In fact, I have
seen two excellent engineers get promoted and then squashed because they
could not deal with the politics.  They had little interest (or the people
skills necessary for the job), became totally unhappy and then left the
company.

Personally, I would rather have a few senior engineers on my team that I
trust and that have a good track record and tenure with the company.  A
manager is only as good as the talent of his team, so a smart manager will
horde guys like you who are good techs and want to stay that way!  It will
only keep your boss in the enviable position of having 'too much talent on
the team'.

Later,
Jeff