[CLUE-Talk] Installfest! (Debian dual-boot on notebook?)

Matthew Porter mfporter at c-creature.com
Thu Feb 14 23:41:05 MST 2002

I hope to attend this week's Installfest, and I hope to install Debian on my notebook to make it a dual-boot machine.

I've done dual-boot installs of Linux on a couple of desktop machines, but
I've always had the benefit of an existing but unused Windows partition,
or clean second hard drive just for Linux.

However, my notebook currently has one 20 gig hard drive, which I will need to share between Windows and Linux.

Will there be anyone at the installfest with the software and know-how to help me NON-DESTRUCTIVELY repartition my drive so I can keep the Windows install, but make room for the Linux install?  Or will I need to provide my own copy of a tool such as Partition Magic to do this?

(And as long as I'm asking questions -- is there anything I should do to the computer besides defrag and backup?  Anything I should bring besides the computer and my Debian CDs?)

Thanks,

 --Matt.

Matthew Porter
Golden, Colorado