[CLUE-Talk] CLUE North

Jeffery Cann president at clue.denver.co.us
Wed Feb 20 20:01:58 MST 2002

Greetings.

This weekend closed the CLUE North poll.  The results were interesting and
exciting.  70 people voted.  44 responded 'yes' to the question 'Would you
attend a monthly CLUE meeting held in the Northern Metro Denver area?'.  This
meeting would not replace the DTC meeting.

At our February CLUE Board meeting, we discussed the possibility of CLUE
North.  There are several pros can cons for a second monthly (or bimonthly)
meeting to be held in the northern metro area.  All of the board members
support this idea to one degree or another.

On the positive side, another meeting, would help us promote Linux.  This is
the goal of CLUE and so the more opportunity we have to expose folks to
Linux, the better we meet our goal.

In addition, the I-25 corridor prohibits easy access of north metro
residents, but a second meeting would accomodate CLUBies up north.  The
corridor travel problem will get worse during the next 5-7 years of TREX.

Finally, the opportunity for Linux-friendly companies to show support at a
CLUE North meeting does exist and so both the CLUEbies and the companies get
many mutual benefits.

On the negative side, several board members and general CLUBies expressed
concern about how a CLUE North meeting would affect BLUG in Boulder.  Several
folks wanted to know why folks do not attend BLUG, but would attend a CLUE
North.  My thought is that if you live in Arvada, you are basically
equidistant to either Boulder or DTC, so I understand this point of view.

Also, all of the current DTC board members live in the DTC (or generally in
South metro area).  This presents several logistical problems for holding a
second meeting.  The least of which is that the drive is bad both ways along
I-25, so some board members are reluctant to commit to attending second
meeting that involved a 1 hour drive one way.  BTW - This is the reason most
often given to me by CLUEbies that live up north.

So, as the CLUE President, it is my job to solicit the help of our CLUBie
network and ask for volunteers to help make the CLUE North meeting a reality.

We need 2-3 folks (who live up north) plan the logistics with the current
CLUE board members for the CLUE North meeting.  Luckily, CLUE has held
continuous meetings for nearly 8 years, so we have several ideas and
suggestions that will ease the implementation.  In addition, the current crop
of CLUE board members is ready and willing to help as needed.

Just like the DTC CLUE meetings, the CLUE North meetings will not happen
without the efforts of committed volunteers.  So, for the 44 folks who
answered 'yes' to the poll -- now is the time to ask not what your LUG can do
for you, but what you can do for your LUG!

Do not be afraid of volunteering!  I have been a volunteer with CLUE for over
three years and have had so much fun and met so many folks (many are now my
close friends) that I cannot imagine not being involved.  It is a rewarding
experience!  I belive other past and present volunteers share this thought.

The actual number of hours per week you would spend coordinating the meetings
is minimal.  However, it is more than a single person could handle and not
burn out.  This is why we need 2-3 CLUEbies!

Please respond to me directly at <president at clue.denver.co.us> if you would
like to volunteer or would like additional information.  If you are unsure
and would like more information about the responsibilities of a volunteer,
then please also send me an email.

Also, please feel free to respond to the list if you would like to start any
discussion on this topic.

If we get enough volunteers, we will work out the next steps off list (well,
off this list and on the CLUE-Admin list).

Jeffery Cann
CLUE President