[CLUE-Talk] DMCA vs. bnetd.

anselmi at americanisp.net anselmi at americanisp.net
Thu Feb 21 08:39:33 MST 2002

This is sadly funnny.  bnetd is a free server that does what Blizzard's
battle.net server does.  battle.net is a free multi-player server for Blizzard
games (Diablo, Starcraft, etc.)

The sad part is that Blizzard sent bnetd.org's ISP a letter which forced
removal of the site (see www.bnetd.org).  Until the court battle is over, no
site.  Hardly innocent until proven guilty.

The funny part is that some people claim DMCA is necessary for us to comply
with WIPO treaties - my understanding is that European intellectual property
laws are more strict than ours.  So here's a French guy offering to host the
site since he isn't bound by DMCA (at least until he comes over here to visit).

Sigh, I need some coffee...

----- Forwarded message from Bernard Lang <Bernard.Lang at inria.fr> -----