[CLUE-Talk] ISO Linux white papers

Otis Lamar otis_lamar at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 26 17:55:43 MST 2002

I don't have a copy of my Linux TCO presentation handy, but there are in
depth case studies available online.  Try the following links...

http://www.linuxworld.com/site-stories/2001/1116.tco.case1.html

http://www.linuxworld.com/site-stories/2001/1204.tco2.html

My presentation focused on evaluating Linux as a replacement for some of
my former employer's network services.  File and print, database, and
web servers were discussed.  In summary, management believed that Linux
was more expensive to support and maintain than Windows servers.  That
available talent to support Linux servers would be hard to find.  That
free software was not as enterprise ready, thoroughly tested, or
supported as Windows.  I addressed each of these myths showing how much
time in support, number of staff needed, and licensing costs was spent
on our current Windows environment.  Then I showed the same numbers with
Linux servers to compare the savings.  But in the end, nothing would
sway their opinions.  My manager even said to me after the presentation
that he thought I did an excellent job presenting the information, but
that he "didn't know what to do with this information."

I am happy to say that I no longer work with this organization, but one
that not only supports Linux, but put me in charge of creating a
standard Linux desktop image for our users.

Good luck,

Otis Lamar